Updated Oct. 21, 2020 - Our November general membership meetings in Baltimore and Salisbury are canceled. As the coronavirus pandemic continues unabated, we endeavor to do our part to protect the health of our members and staff as we continue to provide you service and support. The essential procedures instituted in March remain in effect. Click here to read these important notices regarding office and credit union hours of operation. If you need to see your business agent or have questions or concerns, give us a call at 410-566-5700.
Local and National News
Delivery drivers at US Foods in Manassas, Virginia, met with Local staff for their first-contract proposal meeting on Saturday, Oct. 17, 2020, in Manassas, Va. The meeting was held at a local chapter of the American Legion, where everyone followed the veterans' organization’s safety protocols that required face masks inside the hall. The drivers voted in September to join Local 355.
Bargaining news: Belair Produce, Budget Rent-A-Car, RNDC, others
Oct. 30, 2020 | Local 355 continues to operate as close to normal as possible under conditions that restrict how and where we conduct our in-person meetings with members and employers. Despite the coronavirus pandemic threat that continues, negotiations put on hold during the early months of the year were resumed, issues resolved and contracts extended or new agreements ratified. Read the update here.
Md. election officials: Don’t mail ballots – use drop boxes
Oct. 29, 2020 | With reports of slow mail delivery across the country, Maryland election officials are urging voters to return their mail-in ballots at drop-boxes throughout the state instead of using the Postal Service. Learn more here.
US Foods, Sysco workers ratify ‘historic’ contracts in So. California
Oct. 27, 2020 | Foodservice workers at US Foods and Sysco in Southern California have ratified contracts that contain historic increases in wages and pension-benefit contributions, providing the workers with a secure future over the next six years and beyond. Local 630 represents 187 warehouse and office workers at US Foods in La Mirada, Ca., and 143 warehouse and office workers at Sysco in Walnut, Ca. Local 848 represents about 200 drivers at the same US Foods center, and about 245 drivers at Sysco. All four units either unanimously ratified the contracts, or did so with just a few no notes. Continue reading here.
Download your Teamster ‘I Voted’ Facebook frame
Oct. 26, 2020 | Let everyone know that you’re a Teamster and you voted! Download these frames as your profile picture on Facebook to show that Teamsters are making our voices heard at the polls in this historic election.
Notice of nomination and election of Local 355 officers
Oct. 9, 2020 | Official notice is hereby given of the nomination for election for the following officers of Local Union 355: President (Principal Officer), Secretary-Treasurer, Vice President, Recording Secretary, and three Trustees for the 2021-2024 term. Nominations, seconds of nominations and Candidates’ acceptances must be made in writing and received by the Local Union Secretary-Treasurer no later than 5:00 p.m. Monday, November 2, 2020. For detailed information, read the Official Notice posted here.
Older news items are available at 355 News.
Elsewhere in the News In Case You Missed It
• COVID-19 news updates for Oct. 29, 2020
• American households are doing better than expected
• Trump Administration’s attacks on workers are relentless
• Why the Republican Party wants to destroy labor unions
• The specter of pension failures haunts the election
• U.S. workers fear for future as election, COVID-19 loom
• Workers keep getting fired for reporting COVID-19 safety violations
• AFSCME sues federal labor agency in court over anti-union policies
• Thousands of aviation layoffs loom amid a dysfunctional Congress
• HOS rule’s legality questioned by Teamsters, safety groups
• A special message from Vice President Joe Biden to Teamster members:
Union Sues POTUS Over Order Making It Easier to Fire Fed. Workers Why Workers Will Decide the 2020 Election Increasing the Minimum Wage Would Help, Not Hurt, the Economy In Case You Missed It
• COVID-19 news updates for Oct. 21, 2020
• The Fight for $15 is more important than ever
• Why I’m voting against hate
• Famous protests in US history and their impacts
• Teamsters call for zero emissions in private waste industry
• Laid-off Disney Teamsters work as volunteers at food bank
• Baltimore Teachers Union urges parents to boycott school reopening
• American Postal Workers Union continues fight to save USPS
• Labor prepares for a last-minute general strike if Trump tries to steal the election
• The Baltimore Sun’s Maryland Voter Guide 2020