Updated Oct. 21, 2020 - Our November general membership meetings in Baltimore and Salisbury are canceled. As the coronavirus pandemic continues unabated, we endeavor to do our part to protect the health of our members and staff as we continue to provide you service and support. The essential procedures instituted in March remain in effect. Click here to read these important notices regarding office and credit union hours of operation. If you need to see your business agent or have questions or concerns, give us a call at 410-566-5700.
Local and National News
Delivery drivers at US Foods in Manassas, Virginia, met with Local staff to conduct their first contract proposal meeting on Saturday, Oct. 17, 2020, in Manassas, Va. The meeting was held at a local chapter of the American Legion, where everyone followed the veterans' organization’s safety protocols that required face masks to be worn inside the hall. The drivers voted in September to join Local 355.
US Foods workers in California vote to join Teamsters Local 63
Oct. 16, 2020 | A group of 68 warehouse workers at US Foods in Fontana, Calif. have voted to join Teamsters Local 63, six weeks after a group of 57 drivers at the same facility voted to join the union. The mail-in votes were counted on September 3 for the drivers; October 14 for the warehouse workers. “It feels real good to win. Now it will be about winning better benefits and respect from managers,” said warehouse worker Raymond Ballard. “Every day, my coworkers and I would say to each other, ‘it’s in the bolsa,’ to remind us it’s in the bag.” Full story at teamsters.org
Notice of nomination and election of Local 355 officers
Oct. 9, 2020 | Official notice is hereby given of the nomination for election for the following officers of Local Union 355: President (Principal Officer), Secretary-Treasurer, Vice President, Recording Secretary, and three Trustees for the 2021-2024 term. Nominations, seconds of nominations and Candidates’ acceptances must be made in writing and received by the Local Union Secretary-Treasurer no later than 5:00 p.m. Monday, November 2, 2020. For detailed information, read the Official Notice posted here.
Older news items are available at 355 News.
Elsewhere in the News Why Stronger Labor Unions Would Speed Up the U.S. Post-COVID Recovery Workers Who Were Laid Off Say They Were Passed Over – for Their Own Jobs In Case You Missed It
• COVID-19 news updates for Oct. 14, 2020
• XPO port truck drivers ruled employees
• Barrett nomination looms ominous for labor law
• Teamsters reach deal with grocery chains
• Collective bargaining belongs at the center of our democracy
• 64 million workers sought jobless aid since pandemic began
• Coronavirus pandemic forces hand of NLRB’s general counsel
• Steelworker: Election is about revitalizing unions, protecting retirement
• How unions can bridge the gap between climate, labor movements
• Dems question Amazon over reported interference of workers rights to organize
• Study: Union members are more likely to receive unemployment benefits
• Treasury Secretary: Economic relief deal unlikely before election
Agency Tasked With Protecting Union Rights Instead Champions Interests of Bosses Killing Worker Safety