Local and National News
Listen: New Congress delivers big victories for Teamsters
Jan. 19, 2022 | In the latest edition of the Teamsters Podcast you’ll hear how President Biden and Congress delivered for the Teamsters, plus the union’s efforts to rein in Republic Services.
Local 355 mourns passing of Brother Joe Sassman, UPS
Jan. 14, 2022 | It is with great sadness today that we inform our members of the January 7, 2022 passing of Brother Joseph Sassman, Jr. He was 34 years old. Hired in January of 2006 at the Quad Avenue UPS facility in Baltimore as a part-time employee, Joe moved into a full-time driver position then won an inside full-time job two years later. He was elected shop steward in 2016. “When a coworker went to Joe with a possible contract violation, Joe jumped into action to get the grievance filed and then worked hard to resolve the issue,” said Mike Petro, a Local 355 UPS Business Agent. “Every UPS employee loved Joe. When you returned to the building at the end of a bad day you would find Joe there with a great smile and a fist bump –guaranteed to bring a smile to your face.” The Local 355 Executive Board extends sincere condolences to his wife, Monica, and family and friends on behalf of our members. Click here for obituary and service information.
Elsewhere in the News
Coal Miners on Strike for 10 Months Vow Not to Be ‘Starved Out’
OSHA Withdraws Its Workplace Vaccine Rule
Report Shows Unions Make A Difference in Workers’ Lives
Labor News Wrap-Up: 01/21/2022
• Order free at-home Covid-19 tests here
• Republic Services Teamsters approve TA, end strike
• Union battle vs. corporate power isn’t a fair fight
• America’s new class war: Organized Labor is back
• CEMEX drivers protest lack of respect for organizing rights
• Thieves are looting freight trains filled with UPS, FedEx, Amazon pkgs
• Workers got fed up. Bosses got scared. This is how the Big Quit happened.
• TA reached, workers end 10-day strike against grocery chain
• Maryland tax deadline extended to July 15
A Note to Our Members:
We continue to do what we can to protect the health of our members and staff while providing you service and support. Safety procedures instituted at the beginning of the pandemic remain in effect until further notice. Click here for important notices regarding COVID-19 policies regarding our office and credit union hours of operation.
If you need to see your business agent or have questions or concerns, give us a call at