Local and National News
Victory for Teamster Retirees: Central States Pension Fund awarded $36B
Dec. 8, 2022 | Nearly 350,000 Teamster retirees are celebrating today over an announcement that the Central States Pension Fund (CSPF) will be granted $36 billion by the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. The grant ensures they will enjoy their full pension benefits for the rest of their lives. The grant was made possible by the American Rescue Plan (ARP) that was passed by Congress and signed into law by President Joe Biden on March 11, 2021. Rank-and-file Teamsters held rallies, made hundreds of visits to elected officials, and made thousands of phone calls to ensure their pensions would be secure. "This is an issue of fairness — of this country keeping its word to hardworking, honest people who did everything they were supposed to do in life," said Teamsters General President Sean M. O'Brien. Teamsters
Unions form coalition to coordinate bargaining with United Airlines
Dec. 7, 2022 | Airline unions representing 78,000 workers at United Airlines, including 10,000 Teamster maintenance technicians, announced the launch of the United Airlines Union Coalition today. Together with the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA), the IAMAW District 141, the Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l, and the Professional Airline Flight Control Association (PAFCA), the Teamsters will coordinate closely on bargaining and other issues. "The old adage says, 'It takes a village'," said General President Sean M. O'Brien. "United, we are stronger. We have each other’s backs always and will take on the fight together."
Applications open for the James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship Fund
Nov. 30, 2022 | The application process opens today for the James R. Hoffa Memorial Scholarship for sons, daughters, and financial dependents of Teamster members. Academic scholarships ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 are available for high school seniors planning to attend a four-year college or university, and Training/Vocational program awards of up to $2,000 are available for use at community colleges and trade schools. This year, the Fund awarded $1.2 million in scholarships. For more information on the 2023 JRHMSF application, visit www.jrhmsf.org. The submission deadline is early March 2023.
Elsewhere in the News
Week Ending 12/9/2022
• Congress must fund the NLRB
• What would it take for all rail workers to win?
• Teamsters at UC ratify strongest-ever contract
• The freight rail labor dispute was never about sick days
• Watch: The new Teamsters - bigger, faster, stronger (listen here)
• Costco ‘has taken a high road’ when it comes to unionization
• Study: Prevalence of workplace violence, harassment across the globe
• Wage theft spotlighted on late night…
Investors Pressure Railroads to Add Sick Time for Workers
We May Be At the Beginning of A New Era of Labor Power
Week Ending 12/2/2022
• A new union rises in the South
• Labor’s winning weapon
• Labor Board outlaws T-Mobile’s company union
• Listen: Two Boomers and a Gen Z walk onto a podcast
• Life has been hell for UPS workers since the pandemic
• Amazon is refusing to comply with judge’s order
• Teachers are burned out; unions can help them understand why
• MLB prepares to negotiate contract with 5,000 minor league players
• How the pandemic changed the landscape of U.S. Labor organizing
• As more states legalize pot, more pot workers push for unionization
• Why America’s railroads refuse to give their workers paid leave
• Before Thursday's Senate vote...
Rail Unions Slam Senate’s ‘Anti-American’ Rejection of Sick Days